Thursday, July 10, 2008

INTERVIEW: Caroline


• Your Full Name: Caroline Gwen Avnit

• What do you do for a living? Previously a yoga teacher come psychology student but now a full-time mom.

• Your claim to fame? The one-handed photo and instigating what I perceive to be scintillating conversation.

• Restaurants you have chosen so far: Annapurna and Manolo

• What is/are your favourite restaurant and why? I love restaurants with good ambiance. I used to love Madame Zingara in Cape Town when it was still around, as apart from the yummy food the whole experience was truly unique. In London there is a Morrocan restaurant called Pashas (Gloucester rd) that I would rate as one of my most favourite restaurants ever. La Belon Rouge in Franschhoek was also a favourite, as is current The French Connection.

• What is your favourite food? Sushi but generally all things Asian, Greek and fusion style meals.

• Is there anything you don’t eat? Red Meat

• Who is your favourite celebrity chef? You know I don’t think I really have one. Locally I love Mathew Gordon’s food. I love watching them all on BBC Food, but to be honest I rarely try out the recipes. I think I will just say Giorgio Locatelli as he is welcome to cook for me anytime :)

• What is your ideal way of spending a night out? Drinking too much (good) wine and enjoying a tasty meal with family or friends at a restaurant with a good vibe.

• Name the things you can’t live without: My family, Music, My ipod and macbook. Recently my ghd and yoghurt. (ok, yes and sex)

• Can you cook? If so, what is your signature dish? Yes, reluctantly. Probably a Lora Lei salad and Mousaka or pasta.

• What ingredients do you always cook with? Garlic!!

• What is your favorite Cocktail? Depends on my mood. Kir Royal; Black Russian (if in Ireland), Blend Manhattan (if at Alba) or anything with Vodka in it.

• If they were too name a cocktail after you, what would be in it and what would it be called? I have created a number of cocktails in my time, but have not thought about this. The Crazy Caz sounds about right! Champagne, cherries, kir or maybe some raspberry juice but then add a touch of something mad like vanilla vodka and a shot of whiskey for just when you thought this was another boring cocktail…

• If you could invite any celebrity or famous person (dead or alive) to dinner club night, who would it be and why? Madonna would be fun and I have always wanted to sit down and have a good chat with Freud, especially about that penis envy thing…

No comments: